This award aims to acknowledge significant leadership in and contribution to building the fields of sexuality, gender and queer research in education within the Australian context. The motivation to create this award emerged from the view that given the developing status of these research fields it is important to establish mechanisms through which contributions to and leadership within these fields can be promoted and acknowledged.
- A mid-career researcher (5-10 years post PhD) who has demonstrated leadership in and made significant contribution to the fields of gender and sexuality research in education through contributions to building the fields, research, teaching, and service.
- A mid-career researcher who has performed a significant amount of their leadership work while working in Australia.
- Current financial member of AARE
We acknowledge that the politics of awards are problematic - focusing as they do on singling out individuals when the growth of the field is always the result of collective efforts. We hope that the award is received in the spirit of more actively bringing people together to celebrate the work we all do, and we welcome discussions of additional ways to nurture work occurring across these fields.
How to apply
To nominate for the award, candidates must submit a statement of nomination outlining the nominee's key contributions across four relevant areas:
- contributions to building the field(s)
- leadership in research & scholarship
- leadership in learning & teaching
- leadership in service
This statement should not exceed two A4 pages, and should also include a CV.
Applications must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications due date extended to: Wednesday, 11 October 2023
The review for this award is an external review process (i.e. SIG co-convenors will not review applications). Co-convenors will establish an external awards panel comprised of three established scholars in the field of sexuality, gender and queer studies in education. The panel will individually assess the statements against the award criteria and the award will be allocated based on panel assessments.
*Please note, the serving SIG conveners and members of the awards review committee are not eligible for nomination while they are serving in those roles.
Announcement: Award announcement will be made during the AARE 2023 Annual Conference and via email.
If you have any questions regarding the award, please email to Michelle Jeffries (email@example.com).