Inaugurated in 2011, the Distinguished Fellow Award recognises outstanding service and contribution to AARE over an extended period of time.
Call for 2023 Nominations by 12 noon Monday 30th October - Nominations for 2023 are now closed. Nominations for 2024 can be accepted.
Nominations will be called for annually via the newsletter and the website. Nominations must be received by award deadline each year. Members nominating a particular candidate should:
- Ensure that the candidate fits the criteria for the AARE Distinguished Fellow Award for Outstanding Service:
- Current membership of AARE;
- Long term commitment to AARE consisting of at least 5 years' continuous membership of, and active participation in, the Association;
- Significant contribution to growing, developing and shaping the work of AARE during this period.
- Provide a profile of the candidate that provides grounds for the nomination. Pertinent information would include but not necessarily be limited to the following:
- The candidate's contribution to AARE and the specific ways in which they contributed to growing, developing and shaping the work of AARE;
- Why these contributions were particularly significant for the Association;
- The candidate's length of membership of the Association; and
- Three brief letters of support from academic colleagues.
Please send all nominations for the AARE Distinguished Fellow Award for Outstanding Service to:
AARE Honorary Secretary
c/o AARE Secretariat
11/456 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne Vic 3000
A sub-committee of the Executive, chaired by the Honorary Secretary, will examine the nominations received and taking into account the criteria for the AARE Distinguished Fellow Award, make a recommendation at an Executive meeting for one, and under special circumstances more than one, AARE Distinguished Fellow Award. The Executive will, if it accepts the recommendation, pass a resolution to bestow the AARE Distinguished Fellow Award on the nominated member or members.
In addition to the stated criteria, the sub-committee should provide an ongoing review of the gender, regional and disciplinary distribution of the AARE Distinguished Fellow Award. Where marked discrepancies in the distribution occur, the sub-committee should implement positive discrimination procedures.
Informing the Nominated Members
The President of the Association should write to each candidate. The President's letter should inform the successful candidate:
- that the bestowal of the AARE Distinguished Fellow Award will occur at the annual conference of the Association; and
- that the candidate is invited to attend the annual conference to accept the award.
Support for the Candidate to attend the Conference
Financial support will be provided for the candidate(s) to attend the annual conference. The financial support will consist of:
- Conference registration fee waiver
Advertising the Decision of the Executive
The decision of the Executive will be recorded in the minutes, and following the President's letter to the nominee and the nominee's acceptance of the AARE Distinguished Fellow Award, the decision will be published in the newsletter prior to the conference.
Bestowing the AARE Distinguished Fellow Award
The Conferences Standing Committee will arrange for a time during the conference for the bestowal of the Award.
Sufficient time should be allowed to:
- have the President or the President's nominee present a profile of the candidate that provides justification for the bestowal;
- have the candidate respond;
- have the President bestow the AARE Distinguished Fellow Award certificate.
The AARE Distinguished Fellow Award Certificate
A certificate will be presented to the AARE Distinguished Fellow that registers the honour bestowed by the Association.