AARE makes the following funding available to SIGs each year upon application and selection.
AARE this year is providing:
- 10 x $5000 Major Grants
- 10 x $1,500 Minor Grants
Purpose: These grants are primarily intended as a means of supporting SIGs to contribute to the scholarly research capacity of their members, and AARE members more broadly. AARE welcomes innovative approaches to building research capacity. Competitive grants may be used for purposes such as:
- hosting an international speaker to present in the SIG strand at the annual AARE conference;
- holding workshops, seminars or master classes for members of the relevant SIG throughout the year; or
- to host a scholarly event such as a small conference or symposium.
Details of SIG Funding:
Funding round: annual (single round)
Applications due: 31 May
Status of funding round: Open for 2019
Amount: up $5,000 or $1,500 per annum
Number available: up to 10 per annum of each type of grant
Applicant: SIG Convenor(s) or SIG members with the support of SIG Convenors. A reminder that only one competitive funding application can be submitted from each SIG.
- a single SIG can apply for one grant of $5,000 and one grant of $1,500;
- SIGs can also combine with a second SIG to apply for a grant of up to $10,000 but each SIG can apply for only one of each amount per year (whether as the sole or a joint applicant)
- competitive funding must be used for the purposes of capacity building amongst SIG members;
- events or activities funded by competitive grants must be academic in nature, and should ideally be held on an academic site (e.g., university or conference venue);
- events or activities funded by competitive grants should be open to all members of the relevant SIG, and can be open to other AARE members;
- discounts must be made available to AARE members in the case of ticketed events, or events for which registration fees are charged for attendance;
- Competitive grants are awarded based on an assessment of the budget submitted and major variations to this expenditure plan will not be approved. In the case where funds are not required for a particular budgeted item, these funds will not become available for other unbudgeted expenses. While AARE understands that there may be minor variations in budgeted item expenditure (for example catering may be slightly more if there are additional participants, or flights may be less than expected), only budgeted items will be funded and no funding beyond $5000 (or $10000 for joint applications) will be reimbursed.
- Funds awarded are to be expended by 30 June the following year (unless there are extenuating circumstances and prior approval is received); and
- A report is to be provided to AARE by 30 June the following year.
How to apply:
- Review the application guidelines
- Complete the online application form
- Successful applicants will be required to complete a report using the report template
Selection process: Competitive process where applications are assessed on merit by the AARE Executive at the mid-year Executive meeting.
Enquiries: SIG Coordinator
How to obtain approved funds
AARE is happy to pay in the following ways:
- Direct to a company on provision of an invoice
- As reimbursement to a person on provision of receipts
- As reimbursement to a University on provision of receipts
All payments must be approved by the SIG convenor or project lead. AARE makes payments every fortnight on a Wednesday and most payments will be completed at these times. However, if you have an urgent request for payment please contact the AARE office.