AARE provides an annual funding scheme to SIGs each year upon application and selection.
Bearing in mind the ongoing different and difficult times we are now living with, AARE encourages SIGs to explore different ways of achieving scholarly research capacity building outcomes for SIG members, AARE members and the wider education research community. To support such endeavours, AARE provides an annual funding scheme.
In 2022-2023 AARE is trialling a new grant level, in addition to existing grants, to support SIG initiatives:
Applications for smaller grant amounts will also be considered.
Purpose: These grants are primarily intended as a means of supporting SIGs to contribute to the scholarly research capacity of their members, and AARE members more broadly.
Please find below further details about how and when to apply.
Some possible ideas for SIG initiatives are:
- A mini conference based on a specific theme within a SIG.
- An event with a special guest presenter, who can provide a talk on a specific subject. This could even be a well-respected overseas academic attending virtually.
- A mini Theory Workshop, where a series of speakers present on a particular theme.
- A hybrid event that allows for participants to meet in smaller venues across multiple sites (observing covid-safe practices) and includes the simultaneous use of online platforms.
- A program of member support and mentorship with a series of meetings and activities.
- A series of resources such as videos, presentations or interviews relating to a SIG theme to be made available via a SIG website resource hub.
AARE is pleased to be able to provide the following support services to all successful SIGs.
- Advertising of events to all AARE members and also specific SIGs;
- Promotion of events on AARE website and social media;
- Coordination of registration, including income management;
- Communication with registered participants;
- Uploading and dissemination of any event recordings onto the AARE website;
- Payment of approved budgeted invoices and reimbursements
Details of SIG Funding:
Funding round: annual (single round) per financial year
2022-2023 Applications due: Monday 30 May
Status of funding round: 2022-2023 OPEN
Applicant: SIG Convenor(s) or SIG members with the support of SIG Convenors. A reminder that only one competitive funding application can be submitted from each SIG.
- A single SIG can apply for one grant.
- A SIG can also combine with one other SIG to offer an activity to the combined value of two grant levels, up to $8,000.
- Each SIG can apply for only one amount per year (whether as the sole or a joint applicant).
- A joint application can include only one Major+ grant.
- The application needs to demonstrate a) the capacity of the SIG to deliver the activities, and b) that the SIG has been active in recent year.
- Competitive funding must be used for the purposes of capacity building amongst SIG members.
- Events or activities funded by competitive grants must be academic in nature, and should ideally be held on an academic site (e.g., university or conference venue).
- Events or activities funded by competitive grants should be open to all members of the relevant SIG, and can be open to other AARE members.
- Discounts must be made available to AARE members in the case of ticketed events, or events for which registration fees are charged for attendance.
- Competitive grants are awarded based on an assessment of the budget submitted and major variations to this expenditure plan will not be approved. In the case where funds are not required for a particular budgeted item, these funds will not become available for other unbudgeted AARE expenses. While AARE understands that there may be minor variations in budgeted item expenditure (for example catering may be slightly more if there are additional participants, or flights may be less than expected), only budgeted items will be funded and no funding beyond the approved grant amount will be reimbursed.
- Funds awarded are to be expended by 30 June in the grant year (unless there are extenuating circumstances and prior approval is received).
- Successful applicants will be required to complete a report using the report template, to be provided to AARE by 30 June of the grant year.
How to apply:
- Review the application guidelines
- Complete the application form by 30th May 2022
- Successful applicants will be required to complete a report using the report template
- Competitive process where applications are assessed on merit by the AARE Executive Committee at the June mid-year Executive meeting.
- All SIGs who have submitted applications will be notified of the outcome of their proposal by mid July.
Enquiries: SIG Coordinator
How to obtain approved funds
AARE is happy to pay in the following ways:
- Direct payment of an invoice within approved budget
- As reimbursement to a person on provision of receipts
- As reimbursement to a university on provision of receipts
All payments must be approved by the SIG convenor or project lead. AARE makes payments every fortnight and most payments will be completed at these times. However, if you have an urgent request for payment please contact the AARE office - email@example.com or call 03 5955 2412.