AARE makes the following funding available to SIGs each year upon application and selection.
AARE this year is providing:
- $3,000 Major Grants
- $1,000 Minor Grants
Purpose: These grants are primarily intended as a means of supporting SIGs to contribute to the scholarly research capacity of their members, and AARE members more broadly.
Bearing in mind the different and difficult times we are now living with, AARE would like to encourage SIGs to explore different ways of achieving outcomes for the SIG, AARE and the wider research community. To offer support for such endeavours, AARE is providing a funding scheme. Applications for this funding may be made for Major Grants or Minor Grants for the amount advertised on the AARE website. Some possible ideas are:
- A small mini virtual conference based on a specific SIG or a specific theme within a SIG. A call for papers could go out and once reviewed and accepted a virtual face to face meeting could be planned so that these papers could be
- A symposium, where the presenters and attendees attend
- An event with a special guest presenter, who can provide a talk on a specific subject. This could even be a well-respected overseas academic attending
- A mini Theory Workshop, where a series of speakers present on a particular
- A hybrid event that, bearing in mind social distancing measures, allows for participants to meet in smaller venues across multiple sites and includes the simultaneous use of online platforms.
- A program of members’ support and mentorship with a series of meetings and
- A series of videos with presentations or interviews on SIG theme to be made available at the SIG
AARE is pleased to be able to provide the following support services to all successful SIGs.
- Advertising of events to all AARE members and also specific SIGs;
- Promotion of events on AARE website and social media;
- Coordination of registration, including income management;
- Communication with registered participants;
- Uploading and dissemination of any event recordings onto the AARE website; and
- Payment of approved budgeted invoices and reimbursements
Details of SIG Funding:
Funding round: annual (single round)
Applications due: 31 May, 2021
Status of funding round: Now open
Amount: up to $3,000 (Major Grant) or up to $1,000 (Minor Grant)
Applicant: SIG Convenor(s) or SIG members with the support of SIG Convenors. A reminder that only one competitive funding application can be submitted from each SIG.
- a single SIG can apply for one grant of $3,000 or one grant of $1,000;
- SIGs can also combine with a second SIG to apply for a grant of up to $6,000 but each SIG can apply for only one of each amount per year (whether as the sole or a joint applicant)
- competitive funding must be used for the purposes of capacity building amongst SIG members;
- events or activities funded by competitive grants must be academic in nature, and should ideally be held on an academic site (e.g., university or conference venue);
- events or activities funded by competitive grants should be open to all members of the relevant SIG, and can be open to other AARE members;
- discounts must be made available to AARE members in the case of ticketed events, or events for which registration fees are charged for attendance;
- Competitive grants are awarded based on an assessment of the budget submitted and major variations to this expenditure plan will not be approved. In the case where funds are not required for a particular budgeted item, these funds will not become available for other unbudgeted expenses. While AARE understands that there may be minor variations in budgeted item expenditure (for example catering may be slightly more if there are additional participants, or flights may be less than expected), only budgeted items will be funded and no funding beyond $3,000 (or $6,000 for joint applications) will be reimbursed.
- Funds awarded are to be expended by 30 June the following year (unless there are extenuating circumstances and prior approval is received); and
- A report is to be provided to AARE by 30 June the following year.
How to apply:
- Review the application guidelines
- Complete the application form
- Successful applicants will be required to complete a report using the report template
Selection process: Competitive process where applications are assessed on merit by the AARE Executive at the mid-year Executive meeting.
Enquiries: SIG Coordinator
How to obtain approved funds
AARE is happy to pay in the following ways:
- Direct to a company on provision of an invoice
- As reimbursement to a person on provision of receipts
- As reimbursement to a University on provision of receipts
All payments must be approved by the SIG convenor or project lead. AARE makes payments every fortnight on a Wednesday and most payments will be completed at these times. However, if you have an urgent request for payment please contact the AARE office.