Inaugurated in 2001, the Betty Watts Indigenous Researcher Award recognises an outstanding conference paper by a researcher who identifies as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person, presented at the Annual AARE Conference.
Please note that from 2001 to 2005 the award was titled the Betty Watts Indigenous Research Award and was awarded for excellence in research either by an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander researcher or related to Indigenous education.
The winner of the Award may be invited by the editor of The Australian Educational Researcher or the Australian Journal of Indigenous Research to submit the paper for consideration for publication in the journal (subject to double blind peer review).
Applications due: 19 October 2020
Status of round: closed
Support: Certificate and $500
- Eligible persons may apply for the Award themselves, or may be nominated by another person (e.g., a colleague or supervisor or referee)
To be eligible for consideration, applicants must demonstrate that they meet all the following criteria:
- be a member of AARE
- identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person
- meet the closing date for nomination
- submit a first-authored paper for review by the awards committee via the form on this website (link below)
- have not previously received a Betty Watts Indigenous Researcher Award
It is possible to submit a jointly authored paper for an award. Award applicants must be the first named author on the paper. AARE places the responsibility for full disclosure to co-authors with the first author of a paper submitted for consideration in these award categories.
As the intent of the award is to honour and facilitate high quality scholarship, applications will be judged on the basis of the following academic merit criteria:
- Contemporary significance and/or scholarly relevance
- Conceptual, methodological and theoretical soundness
- Disciplined, focused and persuasive argument
- Coherent organisation and clarity of written expression
- Comprehensive reference to appropriate literature
Only one paper per researcher or research team should be submitted for the Award in any year. Papers previously submitted may not be re-submitted. The same paper cannot be submitted for more than one award in any year.
How to apply
- Applicants must meet the deadlines submission as listed above.
- Please provide
- a covering letter addressing the eligibility criteria for the award;
- a copy of the abstract and the title of the paper and the authors name;
- a copy of the full paper, de-identified without the authors name
Selection process: Applications will be assessed by the Awards Panel which is convened each year by the Awards Convenor. The panel’s decision will be final and no further correspondence will be entered into.