For Postgraduate Students and Early Career Researchers
2023 Conference Bursary Program: now closed
Overview and purpose
AARE is pleased to provide a conference bursary program to support conference attendance in 2023. This program is offered as a way of reaching new members and as a service to existing AARE members. The program is in recognition of the equity issues faced by postgraduate students and early career researchers in the current Higher Education context.
The 2023 AARE Conference is being held at Melbourne University 26-30 November. Please review the AARE Conference website for more information.
AARE offers various bursaries, scholarships and awards to support postgraduate students and early career researchers. These Conference Bursaries are open to both members and non-members of AARE.
In 2023, AARE is offering 25 bursaries to provide conference registration and 12 months AARE Membership.
Successful applicants will have the opportunity to:
- Attend the Pre-Conference Workshop on Sunday 26th November
- Attend the Welcome Reception of the Conference on Sunday 26th November, at 5.30 – 7.00 pm
- Attend for the full duration of the Conference, attending Keynote and paper presentations that are of interest to your work from Monday 27th to Thursday 30th
- Attend the “First Timers’ Lunch” (new members or new to attending the AARE Conference) on Monday 27th November at 12.30 pm
What is covered?
A complimentary Conference Registration, including the Pre-Conference Workshop, Welcome Reception and catering (morning/afternoon tea and lunch each day). Value $660-990
12 month AARE Membership includes:
- Registration at the AARE Annual Conference*
- Membership to up to three Special Interest Groups (SIGs)
- Discounted registration to Theory Workshops and other events, including a range of events targeted to postgraduate student and early career researchers
- Full free access to AARE’s journal, The Australian Educational Researcher
- Discounted book purchases from the Local/Global Issues in Education series at the AARE online Bookshop
- AARE Members receive 40-50% discount on titles from the series
- Opportunities to apply for AARE awards, bursaries and scholarships
- Access to events and initiatives for Postgraduate Students and Early Career Researchers throughout the year.
*Generally $500+ saving for concessional member
Open to any applicant who:
- Is a postgraduate student or early career researcher (in first 5 years since graduation of doctoral degree) in part-time or casual employment or currently unemployed
- Has not received other AARE awards or bursaries.
You do not need to have had a paper accepted to apply for a Conference Bursary.
Application and selection process
Only people who meet all eligibility criteria should apply. Please review the criteria above and be sure that you are eligible before applying.
Applications should be submitted via the online form below by: 11.59pm Friday 23rd June 2023 - Closed
Allocation of Bursaries will be undertaken by a Conference Bursary Panel, based on the following principles:
- That the applicant meets the eligibility criteria.
- The aim of offering support to student and early career researchers from as many institutions/geographical regions as possible.
- The aim of offering support to AARE members and encouraging new members.
Postgraduate students are advised to discuss their attendance at the conference with their supervisor/s.
Applicants can expect notification about the outcome of their application by: COB Friday 21st July 2023
Successful and unsuccessful applicants will be notified of the results. It is not possible to provide feedback on applications, and no correspondence about the list of awardees will be possible.
If you have any questions related to the Conference Bursaries, please contact your representatives Ellen Larsen and Sarah Langman at email@example.com.