The AARE ECR Award recognises an outstanding conference paper by an early career researcher presented at the annual AARE Conference. AARE established this award to encourage early career researchers to present their research at the annual conference and to become actively involved in the Association.
The winner of the Award may be invited by the editor of The Australian Educational Researcher to submit the paper for consideration for publication in the journal (subject to double blind peer review).
Funding round: single round per annum
Applications due: 19 October 2020
Status of round: closed
Support: Certificate and $500
- An early career researcher is one who has been awarded a doctoral degree within the past five years.
- Eligible persons may apply for the Award themselves, or may be nominated by another person (e.g., a colleague or supervisor or referee).
To be eligible for consideration for the award, applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- be a member of AARE
- have been awarded a doctoral degree within the past 5 years
- meet the closing date for nomination
- submit a first-authored paper for review by the awards committee via the form on this website (link below)
- have not previously received an AARE Early Career Researcher Award
It is possible to submit a jointly authored paper for an award. Award applicants must be the first named author on the paper. AARE places the responsibility for full disclosure to co-authors with the first author of a paper submitted for consideration in these award categories. It is not a requirement that award papers be included in the conference proceedings.
As the intent of the award is to honour and facilitate outstanding scholarship, applications will be judged on the basis of the following academic merit criteria:
- Contemporary significance and /or scholarly relevance
- Conceptual, methodological and theoretical soundness
- Disciplined, focused and persuasive argument
- Coherent organisation and clarity of written expression
- Comprehensive reference to appropriate literature
Only one paper per researcher or research team should be submitted for the Award in any one year. Papers previously submitted may not be re-submitted. The same paper cannot be submitted for more than one award in any year.
How to apply
- Applicants must meet the deadlines submission as listed above.
- Please provide
- a covering letter addressing the eligibility criteria for the award;
- a copy of the abstract and the title of the paper and the authors name;
- a copy of the full paper, de-identified without the authors name
Selection process: Applications will be assessed by the Awards Panel which is convened each year by the Awards Convenor. The panel’s decision will be final and no further correspondence will be entered into.