The AARE ECR Award recognises an outstanding conference paper by an early career researcher presented at the annual AARE Conference. AARE established this award to encourage early career researchers to present their research at the annual conference and to become actively involved in the Association.
The winner of the Award may be invited by the editor of The Australian Educational Researcher to submit the paper for consideration for publication in the journal (subject to double blind peer review).
Funding round: single round per annum
Applications due: 31 August 2018
Status of funding round: closed
Amount: up to $800 towards conference expenses
- An early career researcher is one who has been awarded a doctoral degree within the past five years.
- Eligible persons may apply for the Award themselves, or may be nominated by another person (e.g., a colleague or supervisor or a conference paper reviewer or referee).
To be eligible for consideration for the award, applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- be a member of AARE
- have been awarded a doctoral degree within the past 5 years
- meet the closing date for abstract submission
- submit a first-authored conference paper for review by the conference awards committee to the awards email address by 31 August
- be able to attend the full conference
- have a paper accepted for presentation at the conference through the abstract submission process via the AARE conference website
- deliver the paper as scheduled at the conference
- have not previously received an AARE Early Career Researcher Award
It is possible to submit a jointly authored paper for an award. Award applicants must be the first named author on the paper. AARE places the responsibility for full disclosure to co-authors with the first author of a paper submitted for consideration in these award categories. It is not a requirement that award papers be included in the conference proceedings.
As the intent of the award is to honour and facilitate outstanding scholarship, applications will be judged on the basis of the following academic merit criteria:
- Contemporary significance and /or scholarly relevance
- Conceptual, methodological and theoretical soundness
- Disciplined, focused and persuasive argument
- Coherent organisation and clarity of written expression
- Comprehensive reference to appropriate literature
Only one paper per researcher or research team should be submitted for the Award in any one year. Papers previously submitted may not be re-submitted. The same paper cannot be submitted for more than one award in any year.
- Funds will be made available following the conference paper presentation.
How to apply
- Applicants must meet the AARE Conference deadlines for abstract submission, and award application submission dates.
- Submit an abstract via the AARE Conference online submission system by the submission closing date as advertised each year.
- On 31 August submit:
- a covering letter addressing the eligibility criteria for the award;
- a copy of the full paper;
- and proof of acceptance to the conference;
- Applications should be emailed to AARE Awards with the subject line stating: full name, the paper code assigned to your submitted abstract, and include the award name (e.g. ECR Award).
Applications will be assessed by the Awards Panel which is convened each year by the Awards Convenor. The panel’s decision will be final and no further correspondence will be entered into.