The Sociology of Education SIG aims to:
- build a network of researchers interested in sociological approaches to research in education and to stimulate debate and discussion,
- pursue opportunities for advancing sociological analysis of education and sociology of education in broad terms,
- encourage and support postgraduates and early career researchers working in the field of sociology of education, and
- provide a basis for streams on the sociology of education at AARE conferences.
The Sociology of Education SIG has interests in empirical and conceptual research that engages with social theories of class, culture, identity and knowledge.
The SIG focus is broad; it includes, among other things:
- the social processes underpinning schooling,
- workplace learning,
- family/school relationships,
- globalisation, and
- The Sociology of Education SIG has been established to create a visible and active community of sociologists in the field of education in close collaboration with our sister SIG in the Australian Sociological Association.
- The Sociology of Education SIG communicates with members through AARE Newsletters and runs symposia and workshops annually.