Criteria & Nomination Process
Criteria and Procedures for Nominating Members of AARE for Honorary Life Membership
Call for Nominations
Nominations will be called for annually via the newsletter and the website. Nominations must be received by 15 September, annually.
Members nominating a particular candidate should:
- Ensure that the candidate fits the criteria for Honorary Life Membership, that is:
- Current membership of AARE;
- Longterm commitment to AARE as evidenced by at least 20 years' continuous membership of, and active participation in, the Association;
- Substantial contribution to educational research.
- Provide a profile of the candidate that provides grounds for the nomination.Pertinent information would include but not necessarily be limited to the following:
- The candidate's contribution to educational research;
- The candidate's contribution to AARE;
- The candidate's length of membership of the Association;
- The candidate's overall contribution to the educational community (policy formulation, public awareness etc.)
Please send all Honorary Life Membership nominations to:
AARE Honorary Secretary
C/o AARE Office
A sub-committee of the Executive, chaired by the Honorary Secretary, will examine the nominations received and taking into account the criteria for Honorary Life Membership, make a recommendation at an Executive meeting for one, and under special circumstances more than one, Honorary Life Membership. The Executive will, if it accepts the recommendation, pass a resolution to bestow an Honorary Life Membership on the nominated member or members.
In addition to the stated criteria, the sub-committee should provide an ongoing review of the gender, regional and disciplinary distribution of Honorary Life Members. Where marked discrepancies in the distribution occur, the sub-committee should implement positive discrimination procedures.
Informing the Nominated Members
The President of the Association should write to each candidate.
The President's letter should inform the candidate:
- that he or she has been nominated by the Executive for Honorary Life Membership;
- that the bestowal of the Honorary Life Membership will occur at the annual conference of the Association;
- that the candidate is invited to attend the conference.
Support for the Candidate to attend the Conference
Financial support will be provided by the Association to the candidate(s) to attend the annual conference. The financial support will consist of:
- Conference registration fee waiver;
- Actual transport costs to the conference, not to exceed the equivalent of an economy class return airfare from the candidate's Australian home address to the conference site. Candidates residing overseas will be limited to a transport grant of $1,000.
Advertising the Decision of the Executive
The decision of the Executive will be recorded in the minutes, and following the President's letter to the nominee and the nominee's acceptance of the Honorary Life Membership, the decision will be published in the newsletter prior to the conference.
Bestowing the Honorary Life Membership
The Annual Conference Organising Committee will arrange for a time during the conference for the bestowal of the Honorary Life Membership.
Sufficient time should be allowed to:
- have the President or the President's nominee present a profile of the candidate that provides justification for the bestowal;
- have the candidate respond;
- have the President bestow the Honorary Life Membership certificate.
The Honorary Life Membership Certificate
A certificate will be presented to the Honorary Life Member that registers the Honour bestowed by the Association.